World's Best Lasagna
Community Recipe from
- 1 pound(s) sweet Italian sausage
- 1 pound(s) lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup(s) minced onion
- 2 clove(s) garlic crushed (I use out of jar)
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 2 8 oz cans tomato paste
- 2 6.5 oz cans of canned tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup(s) water
- 2 tablespoon(s) white sugar
- 1 teaspoon(s) Italian seasoning
- 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) dried basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon(s) salt
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) ground black pepper
- 12 lasagna noodles (see note)
- 1 16 oz ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/2 salt (for cooking noodles)
- 1 pound(s) mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1 cup(s) Parmesan cheese grated
- 4 tablespoon(s) chopped fresh parsley (2 part item)
- In a Dutch oven (or heavy duty large pot) cook sausage, ground beef, onion, and
- garlic over medium heat until well browned. Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato paste,
- tomato sauce, and water. Season with sugar, basil, (called for1/2 tsp fennel seed - I did not use), Italian seasoning, 1 Tbs salt, 2 Tbs of fresh parsley. Simmer, covered
- for about 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook lasagna noodles in boiling
- water for 8 - 10 minutes. Drain noodles and rinse with cold water. In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta cheese with the egg, remaining 2 Tbs of parsley, and 1/2 tsp salt. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spread 1 1/2 cups of meat sauce in bottom of a 10 X 13 baking dish. Arrange 6 noodles lengthwise over meat sauce. Spread with one half of the ricotta cheese mixture. Top with a third of mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers and top with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Cover with foil: to prevent sticking, either spray foil with cooking spray, or make sure the foil does not touch the cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil, and bake an additional 25 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes before serving.
- *GA I used only 9 noodles (3 layers in a 9 X 13 pan). Also used the no cook lasagna noodles once and could not tell the difference in taste. Next time use a 10 X 13 pan for dish ran over.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by Glendaamos and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note