World's Best Lasagna
Community Recipe from
- 1 pound(s) sweet Italian sausage
- 1 pound(s) lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup(s) minced onion
- 2 clove(s) garlic crushed (I use out of jar)
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 2 8 oz cans tomato paste
- 2 6.5 oz cans of canned tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup(s) water
- 2 tablespoon(s) white sugar
- 1 teaspoon(s) Italian seasoning
- 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) dried basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon(s) salt
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) ground black pepper
- 12 lasagna noodles (see note)
- 1 16 oz ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/2 salt (for cooking noodles)
- 1 pound(s) mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1 cup(s) Parmesan cheese grated
- 4 tablespoon(s) chopped fresh parsley (2 part item)
- In a Dutch oven (or heavy duty large pot) cook sausage, ground beef, onion, and
- garlic over medium heat until well browned. Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato paste,
- tomato sauce, and water. Season with sugar, basil, (called for1/2 tsp fennel seed - I did not use), Italian seasoning, 1 Tbs salt, 2 Tbs of fresh parsley. Simmer, covered
- for about 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook lasagna noodles in boiling
- water for 8 - 10 minutes. Drain noodles and rinse with cold water. In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta cheese with the egg, remaining 2 Tbs of parsley, and 1/2 tsp salt. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spread 1 1/2 cups of meat sauce in bottom of a 10 X 13 baking dish. Arrange 6 noodles lengthwise over meat sauce. Spread with one half of the ricotta cheese mixture. Top with a third of mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers and top with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Cover with foil: to prevent sticking, either spray foil with cooking spray, or make sure the foil does not touch the cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil, and bake an additional 25 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes before serving.
- *GA I used only 9 noodles (3 layers in a 9 X 13 pan). Also used the no cook lasagna noodles once and could not tell the difference in taste. Next time use a 10 X 13 pan for dish ran over.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by Glendaamos and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes