Winter Squash and Rice Gratin
To cut winter squash, microwave at HIGH 1 minute. This will soften the squash so you can easily cut through the thick shell.
More From Oxmoor House
Other: 5 Minutes
- Calories: 232
- Fat: 7.1g
- Saturated fat: 4.3g
- Protein: 7.8g
- Carbohydrate: 36.5g
- Cholesterol: 22mg
- Iron: 2.3mg
- Sodium: 398mg
- Calories from fat: 28%
- Fiber: 3.1g
- Calcium: 185mg
- 1 (2-pound) butternut squash, cut into 4 pieces
- 1/2 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded fontina cheese
- Cooking spray
- Place squash in a Dutch oven; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 35 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- . Preheat oven to 400°.
- . Cook rice according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.
- . While squash and rice cook, melt butter in a medium, heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots and garlic; sauté 2 minutes or until tender. Add flour; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly with a whisk. Gradually add milk; cook 5 minutes or until mixture is thick, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in parsley and next 4 ingredients.
- . Scoop out squash pulp; discard squash peel. Combine squash, cheese, and garlic-butter sauce in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended. Stir in rice. Pour squash mixture into a 1 1/2-quart casserole coated with cooking spray.
- . Bake at 400° for 45 minutes or until edges are golden and top is set. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note