- 2 cups chopped peeled butternut squash
- 1/4 cup minced shallots
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup cooked long-grain brown rice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Gruyère or fontina cheese
- Cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons garlic-and-herb seasoned breadcrumbs
- calories 216
- fat 9.2 g
- satfat 5.3 g
- protein 8.5 g
- carbohydrate 26 g
- cholesterol 26 mg
- iron 1.3 mg
- sodium 391 mg
- caloriesfromfat 38 %
- fiber 1.9 g
- calcium 251 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 400°.
Cook squash and shallots in butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat 10 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently; add garlic, and cook 30 seconds. Stir in flour, and cook 1 minute or until flour is moistened. Gradually add milk, stirring until blended. Add sage and next 4 ingredients; stir well. Cook 2 to 3 minutes or until thickened. Stir in rice, parsley, and cheese.
Coat an 11- x 7-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Spoon mixture into baking dish. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until bubbly.
NOTE: You can spoon squash mixture evenly into 5 (8-ounce) au gratin dishes, and bake 15 minutes or until bubbly.