Great start to Easter dinner. Roasted the beets the day prior, made the dressing in the morning so everything came together superquick at dinner. Used bagged salad blend with radicchio, otherwise made to recipe. Great combo of colors and flavors, the o.j. reduction was a nice touch.
Winter Salad with Roasted Beets and Citrus Reduction Dressing
"My ultimate starter salad would celebrate the produce of the season and make a knockout-gorgeous addition to the table, so I developed this one using fresh orange juice, multicolored beets, and--for good measure--some creamy, tangy goat cheese." --Timothy Q. Cebula, Associate Food Editor
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 127
- Fat: 9.1g
- Saturated fat: 2.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Protein: 3.1g
- Carbohydrate: 8.2g
- Fiber: 1.7g
- Cholesterol: 6mg
- Iron: 1mg
- Sodium: 253mg
- Calcium: 53mg
- 4 medium beets (red and golden)
- Cooking spray
- 3/4 cup fresh orange juice (about 4 oranges)
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cups torn Boston lettuce
- 2 cups trimmed watercress
- 2 cups torn radicchio
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled goat cheese
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°.
- 2. Leave root and 1-inch stem on beets; scrub with a brush. Place beets on a foil-lined jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray. Lightly coat beets with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until tender. Cool beets slightly. Trim off beet roots and stems; rub off skins. Cut beets into 1/2-inch-thick wedges.
- 3. Bring juice and sugar to a boil in a small saucepan; cook 10 minutes or until reduced to 2 tablespoons. Pour into a medium bowl; cool slightly. Add shallots, vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, stirring with a whisk. Gradually add oil, stirring constantly with a whisk.
- 4. Combine lettuce, watercress, and radicchio. Sprinkle lettuce mixture with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; toss gently to combine. Arrange about 1 cup lettuce mixture on each of 8 salad plates. Divide beets evenly among salads. Drizzle about 1 tablespoon dressing over each salad; sprinkle each salad with 1 tablespoon cheese.
- Wine note: White wine is usually a good bet with salad, but the earthy and robust flavors in Winter Salad with Roasted Beets and Citrus Reduction Dressing allow this hearty course to handle a lighter red wine, such as Irony Monterey Pinot Noir 2006 ($16). The wine's berry fruit goes well with goat cheese, and its earthy mushroom flavors are enhanced by roasted beets, while tart acidity on the finish matches the citrus. --Jeffery Lindenmuth
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Winter Salad with Roasted Beets and Citrus Reduction Dressing Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes Like This