Winter Salad With Grilled Chicken, Citrus, and Walnuts
More From Health
- Calories: 244
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3g
- Protein: 25g
- Carbohydrate: 12g
- Fiber: 3g
- Cholesterol: 63mg
- Iron: 2mg
- Sodium: 408mg
- Calcium: 82mg
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped walnuts
- 2 blood or navel oranges
- 1/2 English cucumber, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons sherry or red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1/2 pound romaine lettuce leaves
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- 1. Toast the walnuts in a small skillet over medium-high heat, stirring them frequently, about 2–3 minutes. Transfer the toasted walnuts to a bowl and set aside.
- 2. Cut both ends off of each orange. Stand the fruit on a cutting board. With a sharp knife, cut the skin and white pith off of both oranges, starting from top and working toward the bottom. Holding the orange in your hand over a bowl, cut the sections from the orange between the membranes, letting the sections fall into the bowl. Squeeze the membrane to extract all of the juice; reserve orange juice. Remove the sections to a medium bowl.
- 3. Place the cucumbers in a small bowl and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- 4. Transfer 1 tablespoon of the orange juice to a small bowl. Add the vinegar, olive oil and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Whisk well to combine. Transfer the mixture to a small pitcher for serving. Set aside.
- 5. Lightly spray the chicken breasts with olive oil spray and sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Preheat a grill pan on high heat for 1 minute. Grill the chicken until cooked through, about 5 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken breasts to a cutting board, let them stand 5 minutes, then cut each into slices on the diagonal.
- 6. Divide the romaine lettuce leaves among 4 plates; top each with equal amounts of the cucumber slices and orange segments. Add 4 ounces chicken, and 1 1/2 teaspoons walnuts to each plate. Sprinkle each with chives and serve immediately, with the dressing served on the side.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note