Turnovers are a wonderful addition to your hors d'oeuvres repertoire. Ours, filled with mellow Swiss chard, cheese, and bitter dandelion greens, have an earthy flavor and crisp exterior. Prep and Cook Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 115
- Calories from fat: 66%
- Protein: 3.1g
- Fat: 8.4g
- Saturated fat: 3.9g
- Carbohydrate: 7.5g
- Fiber: 1.4g
- Sodium: 246mg
- Cholesterol: 26mg
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bunch Swiss chard (ribs and stems discarded), coarsely chopped
- 1 bunch dandelion greens (stems discarded), chopped
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- 1/4 cup whole-milk ricotta
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup butter
- 7 sheets phyllo, thawed
- 1. Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat; add olive oil. Add onion and cook, stirring, until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook 2 minutes more.
- 2. Add Swiss chard and dandelion greens to pan in large handfuls and cook, stirring, until any liquid is evaporated. Transfer mixture to a medium bowl and stir in parmesan, ricotta, egg, salt, and pepper.
- 3. Preheat oven to 350°. Melt butter in a small saucepan. Unroll phyllo and cover with a moist towel. Working with 1 sheet of phyllo at a time, arrange sheet so a short side is facing you. Cut sheet lengthwise into three even strips and brush each strip liberally with butter. Place a heaping tbsp. of greens at the bottom of each strip of phyllo, slightly off center. Fold the dough to make a triangle, then continue folding and turning (like you are folding a flag) to make the turnover. Brush top with butter and put on a baking sheet. Repeat with remaining phyllo, greens, and butter. Bake finished turnovers until puffed and brown, about 30 minutes. Serve hot.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per turnover.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note