I made this with a few alterations due to what I had on hand and it turned out great. I used turnip greens in place of the kale and a mix of purple potatoes and yellow potatoes. I also had a mix of cheeses. This turned out great and was a nice change from the other greens recipes we have been using. My CSA has been producing a lot of greens and I will definitely make this again in the future with them.
Winter Greens and Potato Casserole
Earthy kale, mustard greens, and potatoes make this hearty dish a comfort on a cold winter night. Provolone cheese is not typically used in an Appalachian dish, but we enjoyed its pronounced flavor. Use any kind of cheese you like.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 170
- Calories from fat: 27%
- Fat: 5.1g
- Saturated fat: 2.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 7.9g
- Carbohydrate: 25.2g
- Fiber: 4g
- Cholesterol: 14mg
- Iron: 1.9mg
- Sodium: 472mg
- Calcium: 191mg
- 8 cups water
- 12 cups chopped kale, stems removed (about 1/2 pound)
- 12 cups chopped mustard greens, stems removed (about 1/2 pound)
- 6 cups (1/8-inch-thick) slices red potatoes (about 2 pounds), divided
- Cooking spray
- 2 cups vertically sliced onion, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded sharp provolone cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup canned vegetable broth
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Bring water to a boil in a Dutch oven. Add kale and mustard greens, and cook 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Drain; set aside.
- Arrange 2 cups potato slices in a single layer in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray; top with 1 cup onion. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt; top with half of kale mixture. Sprinkle kale mixture with 1/2 cup cheese. Repeat layers once, ending with the kale mixture. Top kale mixture with remaining 2 cups potatoes, and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Pour broth evenly over potato mixture, and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cover with foil. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake 30 minutes or until lightly browned and potatoes are tender.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Casseroles