I made this with a few alterations due to what I had on hand and it turned out great. I used turnip greens in place of the kale and a mix of purple potatoes and yellow potatoes. I also had a mix of cheeses. This turned out great and was a nice change from the other greens recipes we have been using. My CSA has been producing a lot of greens and I will definitely make this again in the future with them.
Winter Greens and Potato Casserole
Earthy kale, mustard greens, and potatoes make this hearty dish a comfort on a cold winter night. Provolone cheese is not typically used in an Appalachian dish, but we enjoyed its pronounced flavor. Use any kind of cheese you like.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 170
- Calories from fat: 27%
- Fat: 5.1g
- Saturated fat: 2.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 7.9g
- Carbohydrate: 25.2g
- Fiber: 4g
- Cholesterol: 14mg
- Iron: 1.9mg
- Sodium: 472mg
- Calcium: 191mg
- 8 cups water
- 12 cups chopped kale, stems removed (about 1/2 pound)
- 12 cups chopped mustard greens, stems removed (about 1/2 pound)
- 6 cups (1/8-inch-thick) slices red potatoes (about 2 pounds), divided
- Cooking spray
- 2 cups vertically sliced onion, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded sharp provolone cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup canned vegetable broth
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Bring water to a boil in a Dutch oven. Add kale and mustard greens, and cook 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Drain; set aside.
- Arrange 2 cups potato slices in a single layer in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray; top with 1 cup onion. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt; top with half of kale mixture. Sprinkle kale mixture with 1/2 cup cheese. Repeat layers once, ending with the kale mixture. Top kale mixture with remaining 2 cups potatoes, and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Pour broth evenly over potato mixture, and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cover with foil. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake 30 minutes or until lightly browned and potatoes are tender.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note