Winter Fruit Compote
Photo: Jennifer Davick; Styling: Rose Nguyen
More From Southern Living
Other Time: 2 Hours, 35 Minutes
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup Champagne or sparkling wine
- 2 Ruby Red grapefruits, peeled and sectioned
- 2 oranges, peeled and sectioned
- Garnish: maraschino cherries with stems
- 1. Cook sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat, tilting pan occasionally, 10 minutes or until caramel colored. Remove from heat, and gradually pour Champagne over sugar (mixture will bubble and seize). Let stand 5 minutes.
- 2. Cook mixture over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes or until sugar is dissolved (mixture will be syrupy). Remove from heat, and let cool 30 minutes.
- 3. Combine grapefruit and orange sections in a bowl. Pour Champagne mixture over fruit. Cover and chill 2 to 24 hours. Garnish, if desired.
- White Grape Winter Fruit Compote: Substitute white grape juice for Champagne. Proceed with recipe as directed.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables