Winkler's Ginger Cakes
- 4 cups molasses
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 10 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Brown Sugar Water (optional)
- Combine molasses and shortening in a large mixing bowl, beating well. Add soda to buttermilk, stirring until soda dissolves; add to molasses mixture, mixing well.
- Sift together flour, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves in a large mixing bowl; gradually add to molasses mixture, stirring well after each addition. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Roll a small portion of dough to 1/2-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface, keeping remaining dough chilled until ready to use. Cut into 5- x 2- inch strips. Place on lightly greased cookie sheets.
- Bake cookies at 350° for 15 minutes. Remove from cookie sheets, and cool on wire racks; brush with Brown Sugar Water, if desired. Repeat procedure with remaining dough.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note