Wine Sponge Cake
Firmer-textured than a typical sponge cake, this one is flavored with Passover wine, nuts, orange juice, and a hint of cinnamon.
Yield: Makes 12 servings
- 3/4 cup whole almonds
- 1 1/4 cups matzo meal
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 8 large eggs, separated
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup Passover wine or sweet sherry
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- Powdered sugar (optional)
- 1. Preheat oven to 325°.
- 2. Whirl almonds in a food processor until finely ground. In a medium bowl, stir together matzo meal, salt, cinnamon, and almonds.
- 3. In a large bowl of a standing mixer, beat egg whites until they hold short, distinct, moist-looking peaks; scrape into another large bowl. In mixer bowl, beat egg yolks until thick, then gradually beat in granulated sugar. Stir in wine and orange juice. Add matzo meal mixture, folding until well blended. Add beaten whites and fold in gently and thoroughly.
- 4. Scrape batter into an ungreased 9- or 10-in. tube pan with a removable bottom and spread level.
- 5. Bake cake until the top springs back when touched lightly, about 1 hour. Invert pan on a rack until completely cool. Loosen cake from sides and bottom of pan with a thin knife and lift to a plate with a wide spatula. Serve cake plain, or sift powdered sugar on top, if you like.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This