- 2 cups Burgundy or other dry red wine
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon beef flavor base
- 2 teaspoons beau monde seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon dried whole thyme, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon dried whole rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 pounds lean beef for stewing, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 4 medium onions, peeled and quartered
- 2 cups sliced carrots
How to Make It
Combine first 7 ingredients in a large mixing bowl; let stand 10 minutes.
Brown beef on all sides in butter in a large Dutch oven. Add wine mixture to beef; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1 hour. Add onion and carrots; cover and simmer 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Prepare dumplings. Drop batter by tablespoonfuls into simmering meat mixture, allowing room for dumplings to expand during cooking process. Cook, uncovered, 10 minutes. Cover and cook an additional 10 minutes.
Spoon into individual serving bowls, and serve immediately.