Wine-Baked Pompano In Sauce
- 4 (1-pound) dressed pompano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 sprigs fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon dried whole thyme
- 1 bay leaf, crushed
- 1 cup Chablis or other dry white wine
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 medium tomatoes, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup cracker crumbs
- Lemon wedges
- Rinse fish thoroughly in cold water; pat dry. Rub fish with salt and pepper; set aside.
- Spread onion, parsley, thyme, and bay leaf evenly in bottom of a lightly greased 13- x 9- x 2- inch baking dish. Place fish on top of vegetables; pour wine over top. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20 minutes.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a small saucepan over low heat; add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook over medium heat until lightly browned. Add tomatoes and mushrooms, mixing well; simmer 10 minutes.
- Pour sauce over fish; cover with cracker crumbs. Dot with remaining butter. Bake at 350° an additional 10 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork.
- Garnish fish with lemon wedges: serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This