- 1/2 pound cheese onion or cheese jalapeño bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 9 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup (4 oz.) shredded jack cheese
- 1 cup (4 oz.) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can (7 oz.) diced green chilies
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Anaheim chili
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon seasoned or plain salt
- Fresh cilantro sprigs
- Avocado slices
- Fruit salsa (recipe follows)
- calories 389
- caloriesfromfat 46 %
- protein 21 g
- fat 20 g
- satfat 10 g
- carbohydrate 31 g
- fiber 2.5 g
- sodium 799 mg
- cholesterol 285 mg
How to Make It
Spread bread evenly in a buttered 9- by 13-inch pan.
In a bowl, beat eggs and milk just to blend. Add jack cheese, cheddar cheese, canned chilies, onion, fresh chili, chopped cilantro, parsley, and salt. Pour evenly over bread. Cover and chill at least 8 hours or overnight.
Uncover and bake in a 350° oven until center barely jiggles when gently shaken and top is lightly browned, about 45 minutes.
Garnish servings with cilantro sprigs and avocado slices. Add fruit salsa to taste.
Fruit Salsa. Pit, peel, and coarsely chop 1 firm-ripe mango (1 lb.). Coarsely chop 3 Roma tomatoes (3/4 lb. total). Mix mango, tomatoes, 1/2 cup sliced green onion, 2 tablespoons minced fresh Anaheim chili, 1 clove pressed garlic, 3 tablespoons lime juice, 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro, and salt to taste.
Nutritional analysis per serving with salsa.