- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 small red onions, cut crosswise into thin rings
- 2 small garlic cloves, minced
- 5 1/2 cups packed very finely sliced red cabbage (1 1/4 lbs.)
- About 1 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1 or 2 lemons
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Small mint leaves for garnish
- calories 61
- caloriesfromfat 60 %
- protein 1.1 g
- fat 4.2 g
- satfat 0.6 g
- carbohydrate 6.1 g
- fiber 1.5 g
- sodium 245 mg
- cholesterol 0.0 mg
How to Make It
Heat oil in a large frying pan or wok over medium-high heat. When hot, add onions, turn to coat, and cook 1 minute to sear and soften. Remove 2 tbsp. onion rings for garnish and set aside. Stir in garlic, then cabbage and 1 1/2 tsp. salt. Cook, stirring constantly, until evenly but barely wilted, about 2 minutes.
Remove pan from heat. Cut lemon in half and squeeze in about 2 1/2 tbsp. juice. Taste and add more if you like. Toss with herbs, more salt if needed, and plenty of pepper.
Transfer cabbage to a platter, mounding it in a heap, and sprinkle with reserved onion rings and the small mint leaves.
Make ahead: Sliced cabbage, up to 1 day; finished dish, up to 2 hours (except for garnish, which should be last minute).