I was looking for something similar to the wilted lettuce that my mom used to make. This tastes like collard greens. It was pretty good but not what I was looking for
Wilted Kale with Bacon
Dark, leafy greens like kale are incredibly good for you, so don't feel guilty about the bacon!
More From Coastal Living
- 5 bacon strips
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 pounds kale (or other greens such as collard, turnip, or mustard)
- Hot sauce (optional)
- 1. Cook bacon in a Dutch oven or stockpot until crisp. Remove strips, crumble, and drain on paper towels.
- 2. Melt butter with drippings over medium-high heat. Add onion and next 5 ingredients, and cook 5 minutes or until tender.
- 3. Stir in chicken broth, cider vinegar, and sugar. Gradually add kale, and cook, stirring occasionally, 8 to 10 minutes or just until wilted. Reduce heat to medium, and cook, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes or until completely tender.
- 4. Stir in reserved bacon; season with hot sauce, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note