Only change was that I made was I added a few red pepper flakes at the end. It was delicious! Will definitely make this again.
Wilted Kale with Bacon and Vinegar
Lacinato kale is also called Tuscan, dinosaur, or black kale. You can also use regular curly kale.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 76
- Fat: 2g
- Saturated fat: 0.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.0g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.2g
- Protein: 5g
- Carbohydrate: 11.2g
- Fiber: 1.9g
- Cholesterol: 6mg
- Iron: 1.3mg
- Sodium: 155mg
- Calcium: 108mg
- 3 center-cut bacon slices
- 3/4 cup vertically sliced red onion
- 8 cups lacinato kale, stemmed and chopped
- 2/3 cup unsalted chicken stock (such as Swanson)
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1. Cook bacon in a Dutch oven over medium-low heat until crisp. Remove from pan; crumble. Increase heat to medium. Add onion to drippings in pan; sauté 3 minutes. Add kale; cook 2 minutes or until kale begins to wilt, stirring occasionally. Add stock; cover and cook 4 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in vinegar and syrup. Sprinkle with crumbled bacon.
- Coconut, Ginger & Lime: Heat a Dutch oven over medium-low heat. Add 1 tablespoon light coconut milk and 1 teaspoon canola oil. Add 1 seeded minced jalapeño and 2 teaspoons minced ginger; cook 1 minute. Add 8 cups chopped kale; cook 2 minutes. Add 1/4 cup light coconut milk, 1/4 cup water, and 1/2 teaspoon sugar; cover and cook 4 minutes. Stir in 1/4 cup light coconut milk, 2 teaspoons lime juice, and 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt. Serves 4 (serving size: 1/2 cup) CALORIES 69; FAT 3.4g (sat 1.8g); SODIUM 99mg
- Farro & Walnuts: Prepare 1 cup pearled farro. Heat a Dutch oven over medium-low heat. Add 2 teaspoons walnut oil and 3 1/2 cups chopped kale; cook 2 minutes. Add 1/3 cup unsalted chicken stock; cover and cook 4 minutes. Combine 4 teaspoons sherry vinegar and 1 teaspoon maple syrup in a bowl. Add farro, 2 teaspoons walnut oil, and 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt. Add kale mixture and 2 tablespoons toasted chopped walnuts. Serves 4 (serving size: 3/4 cup) CALORIES 256; FAT 8.1g (sat 0.7g); SODIUM 143mg
- Golden Shallots: Heat a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil; swirl to coat. Add 2 sliced shallots; cook 5 minutes or until golden, stirring frequently. Add 8 cups chopped kale, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper to pan; cook 2 minutes. Add 2/3 cup unsalted chicken stock; cover and cook 4 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Serves 4 (serving size: 1/2 cup) CALORIES 109; FAT 7.3g (sat 1g); SODIUM 200mg
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note