Wilted Collards with Bacon and Onion
More From Oxmoor House
- 5 thick bacon slices, chopped
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon bottled minced garlic
- 1 (14-oz.) can chicken broth
- 3 (16-oz.) packages frozen chopped collard greens
- 2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Cook bacon in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat 8 to 10 minutes or until crisp; remove bacon, and drain on paper towels, reserving drippings in pan. Set bacon aside.
- Sauté onion and celery in hot drippings until crisp-tender. Add garlic, chicken broth, and remaining ingredients. Cover and cook over low heat 25 minutes or until greens are wilted and tender. Stir bacon into greens just before serving.
- Fix It Faster: Forego the thick-cut bacon and use fully cooked bacon slices, which reheats in a hot skillet or microwave in 1 minute or less. You'll want to use 8 slices of fully cooked bacon since it's thinner. Use 3 Tbsp. vegetable oil in place of bacon drippings to sauté onion and celery. And you can use prechopped onion and celery.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables