- 1 (2-pound) dressed freshwater bass
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half
- 2 cups soft breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup peeled, seeded, chopped tomato
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup peeled, seeded, chopped cucumber
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- 1 tablespoon chopped celery leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 cups milk
How to Make It
Rinse fish thoroughly; pat dry, and set aside.
Combine flour, 1/4 cup butter, and half-and-half, mixing well. Set aside.
Combine breadcrumbs, tomato, onion, cucumber, celery, 3 tablespoons melted butter, and chopped celery leaves in a large mixing bowl; stir mixture well. Sprinkle fish cavity evenly with salt and pepper, and place stuffing in cavity. Close opening with wooden picks, and tie with string.
Place prepared fish in a large shallow roasting pan, and spread flour mixture evenly over top. Pour 1 1/2 cups milk around fish. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 45 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork, basting occasionally with pan drippings.
Transfer fish to a warm serving platter. Serve immediately.