This recipe takes a lot of prep but it is worth it. I used a blend of wild and brown rice to cut down the expense and it was still excellent. Easily made early and refrigerated. I took it to a party and it was a hit--served with salmon. Left overs keep well also and taste good .
Wild Rice and Summer Succotash Salad
Cooking times for wild rice vary depending on the way the rice was processed. In general, cook one cup rice in three cups water, though you may need to add a little more water before the rice is done.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 342
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 11.3g
- Saturated fat: 1.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 7.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.7g
- Protein: 13.6g
- Carbohydrate: 50.1g
- Fiber: 10.6g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 3.9mg
- Sodium: 443mg
- Calcium: 98mg
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons extravirgin olive oil
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup wild rice
- 1 cup (1-inch) cut green beans (about 1/4 pound)
- 1 cup frozen baby lima beans
- 1 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 cup diced plum tomato
- 6 romaine lettuce leaves
- 3 tablespoons slivered almonds, toasted
- Combine first 9 ingredients in a small bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Gradually add oil to the vinegar mixture, stirring constantly.
- Bring 3 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add rice to pan. Cook, covered, 45 minutes or until tender. Drain. Place rice in a large bowl. Add 1/4 cup vinegar mixture; toss well. Cool.
- Cook green beans and lima beans in boiling water 4 minutes or until tender. Drain. Rinse with cold water; drain. Add beans, remaining vinegar mixture, bell pepper, celery, onion, and tomato to rice mixture; toss well. Line each of 6 plates with 1 lettuce leaf; top each serving with about 1 1/2 cups salad mixture. Sprinkle each serving with 1 1/2 teaspoons almonds.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note