- 1/4 cup butter, divided
- 2 cups thinly sliced leek (about 1 large)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice
- 2 cups uncooked long-grain brown rice
- 1/2 cup finely chopped peeled turnip
- 1/3 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/3 cup finely chopped carrot
- 2/3 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1/2 cup chopped dried sweet cherries
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- calories 277
- fat 9.4 g
- satfat 3 g
- monofat 3.8 g
- polyfat 1.9 g
- protein 5.9 g
- carbohydrate 43.1 g
- fiber 3.9 g
- cholesterol 10 mg
- iron 1.5 mg
- sodium 268 mg
- calcium 40 mg
How to Make It
Heat 2 tablespoons butter in a large saucepan over medium heat; swirl to coat. Add leek, thyme, and 1/2 teaspoon salt; sauté 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add 3 cups water, chicken broth, and wild rice; cover. Increase heat to high; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes. Stir in brown rice; cover and simmer 30 minutes. Remove from heat.
Preheat oven to 400°.
Heat remaining 2 tablespoons butter over high heat in a large skillet; swirl to coat. Add turnip, celery, carrot, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt; saute 1 minute. Reduce heat to medium; cook 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
Combine rice mixture, turnip mixture, pecans, cherries, and onions in a large bowl. Spoon stuffing into a 13 x 9-inch glass or ceramic baking dish. Cover with foil; bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.