Absolutely declicious and perfect for Thanksgiving! I used cherry flavored Craisins and subbed balsamic vinegar for the sherry vinegar. Excellent!
Wild Rice Salad
Most varieties of cooked whole grains can be tossed in a marinade and served warm or at room temperature for an ideal buffet side dish. If you think the amount of rosemary in this recipe seems like overkill, just wait until you taste it. A quick fry in oil tames the herb's pungent flavor. I nibble on whole sprigs sprinkled with salt. (It's got to be healthier than potato chips!) Also, we have our own beehives, which produce loads of honey, so I weave that into many recipes. Prep: 15 minutes; Stand: 45 minutes; Cook: 1 minute.
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 (4-inch) rosemary sprigs
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked long-grain brown rice, cooked according to package directions
- 2/3 cup uncooked wild rice, cooked according to package directions
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
- 3 green onions, finely sliced (about 12 cup)
- 1. Heat olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat until shimmering. (See "Test Kitchen Tip" below.) Add rosemary sprigs, and cook 1 minute, turning with tongs halfway through. Transfer to a paper towel–lined plate to drain, and sprinkle with kosher salt. Let oil cool, and set aside 1/4 cup.
- 2. Combine cranberries and next 3 ingredients in a small bowl. Let stand 15 minutes. Whisk in honey and reserved 1/4 cup rosemary oil.
- 3. Combine brown rice and next 3 ingredients in a large bowl. Crush fried rosemary over cooked rice, add cranberry dressing, and toss to combine.
- 4. Let rice salad cool 30 minutes before serving, or cover with plastic wrap and chill up to 1 day. Let chilled salad stand at room temperature 15 minutes before serving.
- Test Kitchen Tip: Test the readiness of the oil with one rosemary leaf (needle). It should start to sizzle. If not, wait a few seconds and test again.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note