This is worth the time. I've made it at least a half dozen times and it gets raves from my children.
Wild Rice-Oatmeal Bread
This slightly sweet bread makes a wonderful toast for breakfast.
Yield: 1 loaf, 16 servings (serving size: 1 slice)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 204
- Calories from fat: 4%
- Fat: 1g
- Saturated fat: 0.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 6.1g
- Carbohydrate: 42.4g
- Fiber: 2g
- Cholesterol: 1mg
- Iron: 2.4mg
- Sodium: 303mg
- Calcium: 36mg
- 2 cups water, divided
- 1/3 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1 cup regular oats
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 packages dry yeast (about 4 1/2 teaspoons)
- 1/2 cup warm water (100Â° to 110Â°)
- 1 cup warm 1% low-fat milk (100Â° to 110Â°)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 5 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- Cooking spray
- Bring 1 cup water to a boil in a medium sauce-pan. Add wild rice; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour or until tender. Drain if necessary. Set wild rice aside.
- Bring 1 cup water to a boil in a medium sauce-pan. Add the oats, and cook over medium-high heat for 2 1/2 minutes or until thick, stirring mixture constantly. Pour the oatmeal into a large bowl. Dissolve 1 teaspoon sugar and yeast in 1/2 cup warm water in a small bowl; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the cooked wild rice, yeast mixture, warm milk, 1/4 cup sugar, molasses, and salt to oatmeal; stir well.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Add 4 1/2 cups flour to oatmeal mixture; stir until blended. Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 5 minutes); add enough of remaining flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent dough from sticking to hands (dough will feel tacky).
- Place the dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 1 hour or until doubled in size. (Press two fingers into dough. If indentation remains, the dough has risen enough.) Punch dough down, and let rest 5 minutes. Roll into a 14 x 7-inch rectangle on a floured surface. Roll up rectangle tightly, starting with a short edge, pressing firmly to eliminate air pockets; pinch seam and ends to seal. Place roll, seam side dow n, in a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan coated with cookingspray. Cover and let rise 45 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Uncover dough. Bake at 375° for 35 minutes or until loaf is browned on bottom and sounds hollow when tapped. Remove loaf from pan, and cool on a wire rack.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Wild Rice-Oatmeal Bread Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes for Breads