Wild Rice and Mushroom Soup
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 238
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Protein: 10g
- Fat: 7.9g
- Saturated fat: 4.6g
- Carbohydrate: 27g
- Fiber: 3.5g
- Sodium: 116mg
- Cholesterol: 21mg
- 3 1/4 cups fat-skimmed chicken or beef broth
- 1/4 cup wild rice
- 1 cup dried shiitake mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 onion (1/2 lb.), peeled and chopped
- 1/2 pound sliced common mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 russet potato (1/2 lb.), peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 1/2 cup half-and-half (light cream) or whipping cream
- Salt and pepper
- 1. In a 1- to 2-quart pan, bring 1 1/4 cups broth and rice to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until rice is just tender to bite, 45 to 50 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a bowl, soak shiitake mushrooms in 1 1/2 cups hot water until pliable, about 20 minutes. Squeeze mushrooms in water to loosen grit. Lift out mushrooms, reserving liquid. Cut off and discard stems, then thinly slice caps.
- 3. In a 5- to 6-quart pan over medium-high heat, stir shiitakes in 1 tablespoon butter until golden brown, about 5 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer shiitakes to a small bowl.
- 4. To large pan, add remaining 1 tablespoon butter, onion, common mushrooms, garlic, rosemary, and thyme; stir often until vegetables are golden, about 10 minutes.
- 5. Carefully pour shiitake soaking liquid into pan, discarding grit in bottom of bowl. To pan, add potato and remaining 2 cups broth. Cover, bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat and simmer until potato mashes easily when pressed, about 20 minutes.
- 6. In a blender, whirl soup, a portion at a time, until very smooth. Return to pan. Add shiitakes, wild rice with liquid, sherry, and half-and-half. Stir often over high heat until hot, about 2 minutes.
- 7. Ladle into bowls and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews