- 1/2 pound fresh kale or other hearty greens, trimmed and coarsely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups cooked wild rice
- 1/2 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 cup grated Gruyère cheese, divided*
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 375°. Cook kale in 1 cup boiling salted water in a Dutch oven over high heat, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes; drain.
Cook onion in hot oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat, stirring often, 20 minutes or until golden. Add garlic, thyme, and nutmeg, and cook 1 minute. Stir in flour and cooked kale. Gradually stir in milk and broth, and cook, stirring often, 4 minutes or until thickened. Stir in rice, tomatoes, and 1/2 cup cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Transfer mixture to a lightly greased (with cooking spray) 2 1/2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle almonds and remaining 1/2 cup cheese over mixture.
Bake at 375° for 18 minutes or until bubbly and lightly browned.
*Swiss cheese may be substituted.