- 1 fennel bulb (about 3/4 pound)
- 1/4 cup minced fresh shallots
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic
- 1 cup wild rice
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 3 cups water, divided
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
How to Make It
Trim and discard root end of fennel bulb. Trim stalks from bulb, reserving fronds for another use. Cut bulb into fourths, and thinly slice. Set aside.
Sauté shallots in 1 tablespoon hot oil 3 minutes or until tender; stir in garlic and rice. Stir in wine and 2 1/2 cups water; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 35 minutes. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 15 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed.
Sauté fennel in remaining 1/2 tablespoon hot oil 1 minute. Add remaining 1/2 cup water, balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper; simmer 8 minutes or until fennel is tender and liquid has evaporated. Stir into rice mixture.