Used 4c of veg broth instead of 2c chicken broth + 2c water and subbed pecans for the chestnuts (couldn't find em anywhere). Fantastic, guests asked for the recipe.
Wild Rice Dressing with Roasted Chestnuts and Cranberries
Photo: Jonny Valiant; Styling: Deborah Williams
The nutty, almost smoky flavor of wild rice pairs beautifully with game birds and other poultry.
Yield: 12 servings (serving size: about 3/4 cup)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 213
- Fat: 2.4g
- Saturated fat: 1.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 5.5g
- Carbohydrate: 44.4g
- Fiber: 4.5g
- Cholesterol: 4mg
- Iron: 1.2mg
- Sodium: 182mg
- Calcium: 31mg
- 2 cups uncooked wild rice
- 2 cups fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 1/2 cups whole roasted bottled chestnuts
- 1 cup sweetened dried cranberries
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups halved lengthwise and thinly sliced carrot
- 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 1 1/4 cups thinly sliced celery
- 1/2 cup minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Cooking spray
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°.
- 2. Combine rice, broth, 2 cups water, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Partially cover, reduce heat, and simmer 40 minutes or until rice is tender, stirring occasionally. (Do not drain.) Place rice in a large bowl; cover.
- 3. Arrange chestnuts on a baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes. Cool slightly; cut chestnuts into quarters.
- 4. Place cranberries in a small bowl; cover with hot water. Let stand 20 minutes or until soft. Drain and add to rice.
- 5. Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add carrot, onion, and celery; cook 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in herbs; remove from heat. Add to rice mixture. Stir in remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, chestnuts, and pepper.
- 6. Spoon rice mixture into a 13 x 9-inch glass or ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 400° for 10 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Wild Rice Dressing with Roasted Chestnuts and Cranberries Recipe at a Glance