WONDERFUL recipe! My picky eater friend gobbled it up at Thanksgiving. My friends with food restrictions loved it. This recipe is at the top of the list to use when entertaining.
Wild Rice Dressing with Roasted Chestnuts and Cranberries
Photo: Jonny Valiant; Styling: Deborah Williams
The nutty, almost smoky flavor of wild rice pairs beautifully with game birds and other poultry.
Yield: 12 servings (serving size: about 3/4 cup)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 213
- Fat: 2.4g
- Saturated fat: 1.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 5.5g
- Carbohydrate: 44.4g
- Fiber: 4.5g
- Cholesterol: 4mg
- Iron: 1.2mg
- Sodium: 182mg
- Calcium: 31mg
- 2 cups uncooked wild rice
- 2 cups fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 1/2 cups whole roasted bottled chestnuts
- 1 cup sweetened dried cranberries
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups halved lengthwise and thinly sliced carrot
- 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 1 1/4 cups thinly sliced celery
- 1/2 cup minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Cooking spray
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°.
- 2. Combine rice, broth, 2 cups water, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Partially cover, reduce heat, and simmer 40 minutes or until rice is tender, stirring occasionally. (Do not drain.) Place rice in a large bowl; cover.
- 3. Arrange chestnuts on a baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes. Cool slightly; cut chestnuts into quarters.
- 4. Place cranberries in a small bowl; cover with hot water. Let stand 20 minutes or until soft. Drain and add to rice.
- 5. Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add carrot, onion, and celery; cook 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in herbs; remove from heat. Add to rice mixture. Stir in remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, chestnuts, and pepper.
- 6. Spoon rice mixture into a 13 x 9-inch glass or ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 400° for 10 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Wild Rice Dressing with Roasted Chestnuts and Cranberries Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables