This was delicious! I did serve it over a little rotisserie chicken, but other than that, followed recipe. Great for a cold winter night;-)
Wild Rice, Butternut Squash, and Cannellini Stew
Photo: Leigh Beisch; Styling: Dan Becker
Time: 35 minutes. Wild rice gives this stew earthiness and is appealingly chewy (save time by buying it precooked). Serve with cornbread or polenta.
Yield: Serves 6
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 177
- Calories from fat: 17%
- Protein: 9g
- Fat: 3.3g
- Saturated fat: 0.6g
- Carbohydrate: 31g
- Fiber: 5.3g
- Sodium: 508mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 1/2 cup (about 1/2 oz.) mixed dried mushrooms
- 1 medium onion
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, rinsed and cut in half
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or mushroom broth
- 1 1/2 cups cooked wild rice*
- 1 pound peeled cubed butternut squash*
- 1 can (15 oz.) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- About 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 4 ounces Swiss chard
- Freshly shaved parmesan cheese
- 1. Put dried mushrooms in a small bowl with 1 cup very hot water, stir, and let stand until softened, about 10 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, cut onion into large chunks, then pulse in a food processor to chop. In a 5- to 6-qt. pan over medium-high heat, cook onion and button mushrooms with oil, pepper, and thyme, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes. While onion mixture cooks, put broth in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave until steaming, about 3 minutes.
- 3. Add broth, rice, squash, beans, and 1 tsp. salt to pan. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat and simmer until squash is tender when pierced, 8 to 10 minutes. Meanwhile, swish dried mushrooms in soaking liquid to loosen grit. Lift out mushrooms and coarsely chop. Add mushrooms to pot. Carefully pour in soaking liquid, leaving grit behind in bowl.
- 4. Rinse chard and chop leaves and stems. Add chard to stew and cook until stems are tender, 10 minutes. Add more salt if you like and serve with parmesan.
- *Cooked wild rice is available from Trader Joe's; you can also cook your own (do it ahead and freeze in batches). Buy prepared squash in the produce section of many markets.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This