Easy and versatile- I used up already cooked asparagus and subbed feta for the goat cheese--- feta is saltier than goat, so next time if I do the same sub. I won't add the salt to the egg mixture. This would also be great with olives (adjust to even less salt then). Overall, nice presentation too. I cooked onions, etc. in a non-stick, then transferred to a cast iron for the baking/broiling-- no sticking!
Wild Rice, Asparagus, and Goat Cheese Frittata
Delicately seasoned with basil and lemon rind, this frittata spotlights the contrasting flavors of asparagus, green onions, and grape tomatoes. Wild rice brings an earthy nuttiness and makes this dish a light meal in itself. Experiment with whatever produce is in season or is your preference--fresh peas and mint, for example.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 172
- Calories from fat: 42%
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated fat: 3.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 14.4g
- Carbohydrate: 10.2g
- Fiber: 2.4g
- Cholesterol: 269mg
- Iron: 1.6mg
- Sodium: 461mg
- Calcium: 57mg
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 5 large eggs
- 4 large egg whites
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup (1-inch) slices asparagus (about 1/4 pound)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup halved grape tomatoes
- 1/2 cup cooked wild rice
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) crumbled goat cheese
- Preheat broiler.
- Combine first 5 ingredients, stirring well with a whisk; set aside.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add asparagus and garlic, and sauté 2 minutes. Add onions, and sauté 1 minute or until asparagus is crisp-tender. Add tomatoes, rice, basil, and rind; cook 1 minute or until thoroughly heated. Reduce heat to medium. Pat mixture into an even layer in pan; sprinkle with cheese. Pour egg mixture over rice mixture; cook 4 minutes or until almost set.
- Wrap handle of pan with foil; broil 4 minutes or until golden brown and set.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note