I really enjoyed this. Roasting the mushroom quarters gave them a meaty texture that would be toothy enough for non vegetarians. The layers of flavor between the stew ingredients and the gremolata were great. Since the mushrooms were such a primary ingredient, topping my side of orzo with truffle salt added not only another layer of flavor but a highly complementary one. You could use truffle butter. Will definitely make again.
Wild Mushroom Stew with Gremolata
Becky Luigart-Stayner; Lydia DeGaris-Pursell
The Mushroom Stock used here also makes a great base for mushroom barley soup, savory gravy for mashed potatoes, or a braised bean dish.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 2 cups stew and 1 1/2 teaspoons gremolata)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 228
- Calories from fat: 28%
- Fat: 7g
- Saturated fat: 1.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Protein: 9.8g
- Carbohydrate: 32.1g
- Fiber: 7.6g
- Cholesterol: 4mg
- Iron: 5.2mg
- Sodium: 953mg
- Calcium: 101mg
- 4 1/2 cups quartered shiitake mushrooms (about 8 ounces)
- 4 1/2 cups quartered cremini mushrooms (about 8 ounces)
- 1 (8-ounce) package button mushrooms, quartered
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 cups thinly sliced leek (about 2 medium)
- 1 cup chopped fennel bulb (about 1 small bulb)
- 1 cup (1-inch-thick) slices carrot
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 cups Mushroom Stock
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh or 1/4 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh or 1/4 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can chopped tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- To prepare stew, combine mushrooms and 1 tablespoon oil in a single layer on a jelly roll pan. Bake mushrooms at 450° for 30 minutes, stirring once.
- Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the leek, fennel, and carrot; cook 5 minutes. Sprinkle leek mixture with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cover, reduce heat, and cook 10 minutes. Uncover; add the mushroom mixture, stock, and next 7 ingredients (stock through tomatoes). Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon salt. Combine cornstarch and water. Stir cornstarch mixture into the mushroom mixture, and cook 1 minute.
- To prepare gremolata, combine parsley, lemon, and garlic. Serve with stew.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews