- 2 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 2 cups boiling water
- 3/4 cup Madeira wine
- 4 cups fat-free reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1 (1/2-ounce) package dried porcini mushrooms, chopped
- 1 (1/2-ounce) package dried morel mushrooms, chopped
- 1 (1/2-ounce) package dried chanterelle mushrooms, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 6 green onions, sliced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 pound fresh white mushrooms, quartered
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Toppings: fat-free sour cream, chopped green onion
- Garnish: green onions
How to Make It
Dissolve bouillon cubes in 2 cups boiling water. Set aside.
Bring wine, 1/2 cup chicken broth, and dried mushrooms to a boil in a small saucepan. Remove from heat, and let stand 30 minutes.
Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat; add green onions and diced onion. Sauté until tender.
Stir in flour, and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Gradually stir in vegetable broth and remaining 3 1/2 cups chicken broth. Stir in wild mushroom mixture, white mushrooms, and pepper. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally; reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes. Cool slightly.
Process mixture, in batches, in a blender or food processor (or use an immersion blender) until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides. Return to Dutch oven.
Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Serve with desired toppings. Garnish, if desired.
Note: For testing purposes only, we used Melissa's dried mushrooms.