The sherry is too strong - I recommend 1/4 cup only, but otherwise this risotto is very earthy and tasty. I would double the amount of mushrooms though!
Wild Mushroom Risotto
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 3/4 cup)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 255
- Calories from fat: 6%
- Fat: 1.7g
- Saturated fat: 0.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.1g
- Protein: 6g
- Carbohydrate: 48.9g
- Fiber: 1.8g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 1.4mg
- Sodium: 593mg
- Calcium: 29mg
- 1/2 cup dried porcini mushrooms (about 1/2 ounce)
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 (14 1/2-ounce) cans vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 1/2 cups sliced shiitake mushroom caps (about 6 ounces)
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound uncooked Arborio rice or other short-grain rice (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- Combine porcini mushrooms and 1/2 cup boiling water in a bowl. Cover and let stand 15 minutes or until tender. Drain in a colander over a bowl, reserving liquid.
- Combine reserved liquid, 1 1/2 cups water, and broth in a medium saucepan (reserve 1 cup of broth mixture if making ahead). Bring remaining broth mixture to a simmer (do not boil). Keep warm over low heat.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Add shiitake mushrooms, and sauté 2 minutes or until tender. Stir in porcini mushrooms, thyme, salt, and pepper. Add rice; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add broth mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly until each portion of the mixture is absorbed before adding the next (about 20 minutes total). Stir in sherry, and cook for 2 minutes or until the liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly. Serve immediately.
- Note: Risotto requires long stirring and constant attention. Chefs, however, use a make-ahead method: Reserve 1 cup broth mixture; prepare the risotto with remaining broth mixture. Remove risotto from heat; cool and spread in an even layer on a jelly roll pan, cover, and refrigerate up to 2 days. Just before serving, bring the reserved broth mixture to a simmer in a large saucepan; stir in the paritally cooked risotto. Cook until the liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly. Add the sherry during the last 2 minutes, then serve.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Wild Mushroom Risotto Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables