I would agree that this was just ok. The sauce took too long to make without being very tasty. I would probably make this with a jar of Alfredo sauce and it would probably taste great. That and a breadcrumb crust.
Wild Mushroom Pastitsio
More From Cooking Light
Total: 1 Hour, 3 Minutes
- Calories: 364
- Fat: 13.1g
- Saturated fat: 5.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.2g
- Protein: 20.1g
- Carbohydrate: 42g
- Fiber: 3.5g
- Cholesterol: 92mg
- Iron: 2.6mg
- Sodium: 574mg
- Calcium: 341mg
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (8-ounce) packages presliced exotic mushroom blend, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 4 cups hot cooked fusilli pasta
- Cooking spray
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat; swirl to coat. Add onion and garlic; sauté for 3 minutes or until tender. Add mushrooms. Cook for 8 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates. Stir in oregano, 1/4 teaspoon salt, black pepper, nutmeg, and tomato sauce. Cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; set aside.
- 3. Combine eggs and parsley in a large bowl. Heat the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Sprinkle flour evenly into pan; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Gradually add milk to flour mixture, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook 2 minutes or until thickened, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; let stand 4 minutes. Stir in remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1 cup cheese. Gradually add hot milk mixture to egg mixture, stirring constantly with a whisk. Add pasta to milk mixture; toss to combine.
- 4. Spread 2 cups pasta mixture in an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with mushroom mixture. Top with remaining pasta mixture. Cover with foil coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Remove foil; sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
- 5. Preheat broiler.
- 6. Broil 5 minutes or until cheese melts. Let stand 15 minutes.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note