So bland. After reading the recipe I saw how inadequately seasoned the tomato sauce was so I got heavy handed with seasoning. 8 oz of tomato sauce didn't cut it. 12 oz might have given it a better chance. And all that milk...Was it necessary? No. It thinned the sauce in texture, and further weakened the flavor. Too much work for just and eh dish.
Wild Mushroom Pastitsio
More From Cooking Light
Total: 1 Hour, 3 Minutes
- Calories: 364
- Fat: 13.1g
- Saturated fat: 5.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.2g
- Protein: 20.1g
- Carbohydrate: 42g
- Fiber: 3.5g
- Cholesterol: 92mg
- Iron: 2.6mg
- Sodium: 574mg
- Calcium: 341mg
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (8-ounce) packages presliced exotic mushroom blend, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 4 cups hot cooked fusilli pasta
- Cooking spray
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat; swirl to coat. Add onion and garlic; sauté for 3 minutes or until tender. Add mushrooms. Cook for 8 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates. Stir in oregano, 1/4 teaspoon salt, black pepper, nutmeg, and tomato sauce. Cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; set aside.
- 3. Combine eggs and parsley in a large bowl. Heat the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Sprinkle flour evenly into pan; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Gradually add milk to flour mixture, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook 2 minutes or until thickened, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; let stand 4 minutes. Stir in remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1 cup cheese. Gradually add hot milk mixture to egg mixture, stirring constantly with a whisk. Add pasta to milk mixture; toss to combine.
- 4. Spread 2 cups pasta mixture in an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with mushroom mixture. Top with remaining pasta mixture. Cover with foil coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Remove foil; sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
- 5. Preheat broiler.
- 6. Broil 5 minutes or until cheese melts. Let stand 15 minutes.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note