- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (8-ounce) packages presliced exotic mushroom blend, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 4 cups hot cooked fusilli pasta
- Cooking spray
- calories 364
- fat 13.1 g
- satfat 5.7 g
- monofat 5 g
- polyfat 1.2 g
- protein 20.1 g
- carbohydrate 42 g
- fiber 3.5 g
- cholesterol 92 mg
- iron 2.6 mg
- sodium 574 mg
- calcium 341 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 350°.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat; swirl to coat. Add onion and garlic; sauté for 3 minutes or until tender. Add mushrooms. Cook for 8 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates. Stir in oregano, 1/4 teaspoon salt, black pepper, nutmeg, and tomato sauce. Cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; set aside.
Combine eggs and parsley in a large bowl. Heat the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Sprinkle flour evenly into pan; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Gradually add milk to flour mixture, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook 2 minutes or until thickened, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; let stand 4 minutes. Stir in remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1 cup cheese. Gradually add hot milk mixture to egg mixture, stirring constantly with a whisk. Add pasta to milk mixture; toss to combine.
Spread 2 cups pasta mixture in an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with mushroom mixture. Top with remaining pasta mixture. Cover with foil coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Remove foil; sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
Broil 5 minutes or until cheese melts. Let stand 15 minutes.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.