If your pan doesn't yield enough drippings, add water or chicken broth.
This recipe goes with Lemon-Sage Turkey with Wild-Mushroom Gravy
Yield: 3 cups (serving size: 1/4 cup)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 43
- Calories from fat: 52%
- Fat: 2.5g
- Saturated fat: 0.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Protein: 1.6g
- Carbohydrate: 3.5g
- Fiber: 0.3g
- Cholesterol: 5mg
- Iron: 0.4mg
- Sodium: 4mg
- Calcium: 3mg
- Pan drippings
- 2 cups water
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced shallots
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced carrot
- 1 turkey neck
- 1 cup sliced button mushrooms
- 1 cup thinly sliced shiitake mushroom caps (about 3 1/2 ounces)
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon red currant jelly
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Place a large zip-top plastic bag inside a 4-cup measure. Pour drippings from turkey roasting pan into bag; let stand 10 minutes (fat will rise to the top). Seal bag; carefully snip off 1 bottom corner of bag. Drain drippings to measure 2 cups, stopping before fat layer reaches opening. Reserve 2 tablespoons fat in bag; set aside.
- Combine water, shallots, carrot, and turkey neck in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes. Strain cooking liquid through a sieve over a bowl, reserving 3/4 cup cooking liquid. Discard solids, reserving turkey neck. Remove meat from neck; chop. Add meat and cooking liquid to defatted 2 cups drippings in 4-cup measure.
- Heat reserved 2 tablespoons fat in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add mushrooms; sauté 2 minutes. Add flour; cook 1 minute. Gradually add cooking liquid mixture; cook 10 minutes or until slightly thick, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in jelly and pepper.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note