This is delicious! I made it with rosmary instead of thyme because I didn't have it and still came out great. It was so quick and easy I definitely recommend this as a appetizer for a party favor.
Wild Mushroom-Chèvre Crostini
Notes: You can toast the baguette slices (step 1) and make the mushroom topping (steps 2 and 3) up to 1 day ahead. Allow both to cool before storing. Keep toast airtight at room temperature. Cover and chill mushrooms; reheat in a microwave oven at full power (100%), stirring occasionally, 4 to 5 minutes.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 111
- Calories from fat: 37%
- Protein: 4.4g
- Fat: 4.6g
- Saturated fat: 2.2g
- Carbohydrate: 12g
- Fiber: 0.8g
- Sodium: 165mg
- Cholesterol: 6.9mg
- 2 dozen baguette slices (cut diagonally 1/4 in. thick and 3 in. long; about 8 oz. total)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 12 ounces fresh mushrooms (chanterelle, crimini, morel, oyster, porcini, shiitake, or common; choose about three kinds)
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup minced shallots
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup fat-skimmed chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- 4 ounces fresh chÃ¨vre (goat) cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1. Arrange baguette slices in a single layer on a 12- by 15-inch baking sheet. Brush tops lightly with oil. Bake on the middle rack in a 350° regular or convection oven until golden, 15 to 20 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, trim and discard discolored stem ends, bits of debris, and bruised spots from mushrooms (for shiitakes, remove entire stem). Rinse mushrooms well and drain. Cut mushrooms larger than 1/2 inch into 1/4-inch-thick slices; leave smaller ones whole.
- 3. In a 10- to 12-inch frying pan over medium-high heat, melt butter; add garlic and stir often until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add mushrooms, shallots, and thyme; stir often until liquid is evaporated and mushrooms are well browned, about 10 minutes. Add wine, broth, and vinegar and stir to release browned bits; boil until liquid is evaporated, 4 to 6 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Keep warm over low heat, stirring occasionally.
- 4. Spread chèvre equally on toasted baguette slices. Spoon warm mushroom mixture equally over cheese. Sprinkle evenly with parsley. Serve warm.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note