Wild Mushroom Caviar
Notes: You can make this spread up to 1 day ahead; cover and chill. Bring to room temperature and stir before serving. Serve with rye bread or crackers.
Yield: Makes about 1 3/4 cups; 10 to 12 servings as part of an appetizer menu
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 47
- Calories from fat: 74%
- Protein: 1.1g
- Fat: 3.9g
- Saturated fat: 2.4g
- Carbohydrate: 2.5g
- Fiber: 0.4g
- Sodium: 196mg
- Cholesterol: 9.9mg
- 1 pound mixed fresh exotic mushrooms, such as black trumpet, chanterelle, cremini, and shiitake, and/or common mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh-ground pepper
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons tarragon-flavored white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 1. Rinse mushrooms and pat dry with paper towels. Trim and discard any discolored areas and tough stem ends (whole stems for shiitakes). Working in batches, pulse mushrooms in a food processor until finely chopped (or chop with a sharp knife).
- 2. In a 10- to 12-inch nonstick frying pan over medium heat, melt butter. Add onion and stir often until limp, about 5 minutes. Add chopped mushrooms and sprinkle evenly with salt. Stir often until juices have evaporated and mushrooms are beginning to brown, about 10 minutes; remove from heat. Grind in pepper to taste.
- 3. In a glass measure, stir together sour cream, vinegar, and tarragon. Pour into mushroom mixture and stir to mix. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note