- 1 baguette
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced
- 1/4 pound oyster mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 pound shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 pound portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can beef broth
- 1/4 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) shredded Italian cheese blend
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
How to Make It
Cut baguette into 4 (1-inch-thick) slices and 8 (1/4-inch-thick) slices, and place on a baking sheet. Reserve remaining baguette for another use.
Bake bread at 400° for 5 minutes or until toasted. Set aside.
Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat; add onion, and cook, stirring often, 20 minutes or until caramel colored. Add mushrooms and garlic, and cook, stirring constantly, 3 minutes. Stir in beef broth and wine; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes or until slightly thickened.
Stir together 1/2 cup water and flour until smooth. Stir flour mixture and pepper into mushroom mixture; cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute.
Place thick baguette slices in bottoms of 4 (8-ounce) custard cups or small ovenproof bowls. Spoon mushroom mixture evenly into cups. Top each with 2 baguette slices. Sprinkle evenly with cheese.
Bake at 350° for 5 minutes or until cheese melts, and sprinkle with parsley.