Do try to make the pasta too! It comes together easily. The leftovers are great as well.
Whole Wheat Tagliolini with Fresh Cherry Tomato Sauce
Photo: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Francine Degni, Jan Gautro
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 408
- Calories from fat: 38%
- Fat: 17.1g
- Saturated fat: 2.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 11.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.6g
- Protein: 12.7g
- Carbohydrate: 53.5g
- Fiber: 7.3g
- Cholesterol: 93mg
- Iron: 4mg
- Sodium: 565mg
- Calcium: 58mg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (about 4 1/2 ounces)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (about 4 3/4 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons extravirgin olive oil
- 2 large eggs
- 6 quarts water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 cups quartered cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- 3 tablespoons drained capers
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1. To prepare pasta, lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flours and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a food processor; process 30 seconds. Combine 5 tablespoons water, 2 tablespoons olive oil, and eggs in a bowl, stirring well with a whisk. With processor running, pour water mixture through the food chute, processing just until dough forms a ball. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead 5 or 6 times. Shape dough into a disk. Dust dough lightly with flour; wrap in plastic wrap. Let stand 30 minutes.
- 2. Divide dough into 3 equal portions. Working with 1 portion at a time (cover remaining dough to prevent drying), press dough into a flat rectangle. Roll the dough into a 14 x 14–inch square, dusting with flour, if necessary (turning dough over occasionally and dusting surface with flour as needed). Lay dough sheet flat; fold ends so they meet in the middle. Fold the sheet in half like closing a book. Fold in half again to form 8 layers of pasta. Using a sharp knife, cut the pasta crosswise into 1/4-inch-wide noodles. Separate noodles, and dust with flour. Place noodles on a jelly-roll pan dusted with flour. Repeat procedure with remaining dough portions.
- 3. Bring 6 quarts water and remaining 1 tablespoon salt to a boil in a large Dutch oven. Place noodles in a sieve; shake off excess flour. Add noodles to pan. Cook 1 1/2 minutes or until done; drain.
- 4. To prepare sauce, heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add garlic to pan; cook 3 minutes, stirring frequently (do not brown). Remove from heat. Stir in tomatoes and remaining ingredients. Toss with noodles.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This