Ridiculously simple to prepare the sauce (I cheated and used gourmet pasta). Just as good the next day - I just reheated it in a skillet.
Whole Wheat Tagliolini with Fresh Cherry Tomato Sauce
The nutty, slightly sweet flavor of whole wheat flour is a tasty addition to a basic pasta recipe. Look for the smallest sweet tomatoes you can find for this simple sauce. Substitute grated orange rind for the lemon, if you prefer.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 408
- Calories from fat: 38%
- Fat: 17.1g
- Saturated fat: 2.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 11.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.6g
- Protein: 12.7g
- Carbohydrate: 53.5g
- Fiber: 7.3g
- Cholesterol: 93mg
- Iron: 4mg
- Sodium: 565mg
- Calcium: 58mg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (about 4 1/2 ounces)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (about 4 3/4 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons extravirgin olive oil
- 2 large eggs
- 6 quarts water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 cups quartered cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- 3 tablespoons drained capers
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1. To prepare pasta, lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flours and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a food processor; process 30 seconds. Combine 5 tablespoons water, 2 tablespoons olive oil, and eggs in a bowl, stirring well with a whisk. With processor running, pour water mixture through the food chute, processing just until dough forms a ball. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead 5 or 6 times. Shape dough into a disk. Dust dough lightly with flour; wrap in plastic wrap. Let stand 30 minutes.
- 2. Divide dough into 3 equal portions. Working with 1 portion at a time (cover remaining dough to prevent drying), press dough into a flat rectangle. Roll the dough into a 14 x 14–inch square, dusting with flour, if necessary (turning dough over occasionally and dusting surface with flour as needed). Lay dough sheet flat; fold ends so they meet in the middle. Fold the sheet in half like closing a book. Fold in half again to form 8 layers of pasta. Using a sharp knife, cut the pasta crosswise into 1/4-inch-wide noodles. Separate noodles, and dust with flour. Place noodles on a jelly-roll pan dusted with flour. Repeat procedure with remaining dough portions.
- 3. Bring 6 quarts water and remaining 1 tablespoon salt to a boil in a large Dutch oven. Place noodles in a sieve; shake off excess flour. Add noodles to pan. Cook 1 1/2 minutes or until done; drain.
- 4. To prepare sauce, heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add garlic to pan; cook 3 minutes, stirring frequently (do not brown). Remove from heat. Stir in tomatoes and remaining ingredients. Toss with noodles.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note