Whole Wheat Sunflower Oat Bread
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 136
- Calories from fat: 17%
- Fat: 2.5g
- Saturated fat: 0.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Protein: 4.9g
- Carbohydrate: 23.3g
- Fiber: 3.2g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 1.1mg
- Sodium: 148mg
- Calcium: 20mg
- 1 cup oat groats
- 1 package dry yeast (about 2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 2 1/2 cups warm water (100° to 110°)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 5 3/4 cups stone-ground whole wheat flour, divided (about 26 ounces)
- 1/2 cup sunflower seed kernels
- Cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 large egg white
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seed kernels
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Spread groats on a baking sheet in an even layer. Bake at 375° for 10 minutes. Remove from heat; cool completely.
- Dissolve yeast in warm water in a large bowl; let stand 5 minutes. Stir in honey and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Add 3 cups flour to yeast mixture; stir well. Stir in groats. Cover and let stand at room temperature 1 hour to form a sponge (mixture will rise and bubble slightly).
- Stir in remaining 1 3/4 teaspoons salt and 1/2 cup sunflower seeds to sponge. Add 2 1/2 cups flour; stir until a soft dough forms. Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Knead until elastic (about 10 minutes); add enough of remaining flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent dough from sticking to hands.
- Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°) 1 hour or until doubled in size. (Press two fingers into dough. If indentation remains, dough has risen enough.) Punch down; cover and let rest 5 minutes.
- Divide dough into 2 equal portions. Roll each portion into a 14 x 7-inch rectangle on a lightly floured surface. Roll up each rectangle tightly, starting with a short edge, pressing firmly to eliminate air pockets; pinch seams and ends to seal. Place each roll, seam side down, in an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Lightly coat surface of dough with cooking spray. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 30 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Combine 1 teaspoon water and egg white, stirring with a whisk. Uncover loaves, and gently brush with egg white mixture. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds. Bake at 400° for 40 minutes or until loaves are browned on bottom and sound hollow when tapped. Cool on wire rack.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breads