- 12 ounces whole-wheat spaghetti
- 1 bunch asparagus, ends trimmed
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup (about 2 ounces) hazelnuts, toasted, skinned, and roughly chopped (or substitute pine nuts)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 small wedge (about 2 ounces) Parmesan
- calories 625
- caloriesfromfat 46 %
- satfat 3 g
- cholesterol 10 mg
- sodium 706 mg
- carbohydrate 71 g
- fiber 4 g
- sugars 6 g
- protein 22 g
How to Make It
Cook the spaghetti according to the package directions.
Meanwhile, with a vegetable peeler, shave the asparagus lengthwise into long ribbons. Add the asparagus to the pasta water during the last 2 minutes of cooking. Drain the spaghetti and asparagus and return them to the pot. Add the oil and hazelnuts; toss. Season with the salt and pepper; toss again. Divide the spaghetti among individual plates. With the peeler, shave the Parmesan over the top.
Tip: To toast hazelnuts, place them on a baking sheet in a 350° oven until they're barely browned and fragrant, 7 to 12 minutes. To remove the skins, transfer the hot nuts to a large kitchen towel, fold one end over the nuts, and rub briskly.