This recipe was so simple and so delicious. I loved it and my 3 year old and 13 month old loved it. I thought the breadcrumbs on top was great. I always caramelize my onions a little when I cook them, and it made the kale sweet. Not weird sweet, but a perfect combo of savory and sweet. This is also going into my regular rotation of meals. Thank you cooking light!
Whole-Wheat Spaghetti with Kale, Poached Eggs, and Toasted Breadcrumbs
Tuscan kale, sometimes labeled cavalo nero or lacinato or black kale, has dark leaves that are richly flavored. If you can't find Tuscan kale, you can use regular curly kale. Or try Swiss chard instead and cut the cooking time for the greens in half.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 55 Minutes
- Calories: 519
- Fat: 16.4g
- Saturated fat: 4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 7.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.5g
- Protein: 25.6g
- Carbohydrate: 75.9g
- Fiber: 13.4g
- Cholesterol: 216mg
- Iron: 7.4mg
- Sodium: 569mg
- Calcium: 438mg
- 1 (2-ounce) piece whole-wheat baguette, cubed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 cups sliced onion (about 1 medium)
- 14 cups stemmed, coarsely chopped Tuscan kale (about 18 ounces)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 4 large eggs
- 8 ounces whole-wheat spaghetti
- 2 ounces pecorino Romano cheese, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°.
- 2. Place bread in a food processor; pulse until 1 cup fine breadcrumbs form. Combine breadcrumbs and 2 teaspoons oil on a baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 8 minutes or until toasted, stirring occasionally.
- 3. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 teaspoon oil; swirl to coat. Add onion; sauté 8 minutes or until golden, stirring frequently. Gradually add kale, stirring to wilt after each addition. Stir in 1/2 cup water, red pepper, and garlic. Reduce heat to medium; cook, uncovered, 12 minutes or until kale is tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt. Keep warm.
- 4. Bring a large pot of water and 2 teaspoons salt to a simmer. Working with one at a time, crack each egg into a small bowl or ramekin. Gently slide eggs into water; cook 3 minutes or until whites are just set. Carefully remove eggs from water with a slotted spoon; set aside. Remove any remaining egg solids from water with a slotted spoon, and discard.
- 5. Bring water to a boil. Add pasta; cook 10 minutes or until al dente. Drain and place in a large bowl. Grate 1 ounce cheese. Add cheese, remaining 1 tablespoon oil, and black pepper to pasta; toss to coat. Place about 3/4 cup kale in bottom of each of 4 shallow bowls. Top each serving with about 1 cup pasta mixture, 1 egg, and 1/4 cup breadcrumbs. Shave remaining 1 ounce cheese over servings.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This