This recipe was so simple and so delicious. I loved it and my 3 year old and 13 month old loved it. I thought the breadcrumbs on top was great. I always caramelize my onions a little when I cook them, and it made the kale sweet. Not weird sweet, but a perfect combo of savory and sweet. This is also going into my regular rotation of meals. Thank you cooking light!
Whole-Wheat Spaghetti with Kale, Poached Eggs, and Toasted Breadcrumbs
Photo: Marcus Nilsson; Styling: Angharad Bailey
More From Cooking Light
Total: 55 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 519
- Fat: 16.4g
- Saturated fat: 4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 7.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.5g
- Protein: 25.6g
- Carbohydrate: 75.9g
- Fiber: 13.4g
- Cholesterol: 216mg
- Iron: 7.4mg
- Sodium: 569mg
- Calcium: 438mg
- 1 (2-ounce) piece whole-wheat baguette, cubed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 cups sliced onion (about 1 medium)
- 14 cups stemmed, coarsely chopped Tuscan kale (about 18 ounces)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 4 large eggs
- 8 ounces whole-wheat spaghetti
- 2 ounces pecorino Romano cheese, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°.
- 2. Place bread in a food processor; pulse until 1 cup fine breadcrumbs form. Combine breadcrumbs and 2 teaspoons oil on a baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 8 minutes or until toasted, stirring occasionally.
- 3. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 teaspoon oil; swirl to coat. Add onion; sauté 8 minutes or until golden, stirring frequently. Gradually add kale, stirring to wilt after each addition. Stir in 1/2 cup water, red pepper, and garlic. Reduce heat to medium; cook, uncovered, 12 minutes or until kale is tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt. Keep warm.
- 4. Bring a large pot of water and 2 teaspoons salt to a simmer. Working with one at a time, crack each egg into a small bowl or ramekin. Gently slide eggs into water; cook 3 minutes or until whites are just set. Carefully remove eggs from water with a slotted spoon; set aside. Remove any remaining egg solids from water with a slotted spoon, and discard.
- 5. Bring water to a boil. Add pasta; cook 10 minutes or until al dente. Drain and place in a large bowl. Grate 1 ounce cheese. Add cheese, remaining 1 tablespoon oil, and black pepper to pasta; toss to coat. Place about 3/4 cup kale in bottom of each of 4 shallow bowls. Top each serving with about 1 cup pasta mixture, 1 egg, and 1/4 cup breadcrumbs. Shave remaining 1 ounce cheese over servings.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This