I made this dish yesterday and thought it was delicious. I added turkey hot sausage, and will try it in the future with chicken or shrimp. All the flavors came toghter so nicely. Loved the crushed red pepper flakes and I always add more garlic than any recipe calls for. Before serving I drizzled a little olive oil and fresh grated romano cheese. I can't wait to make it again....I will proudly make this dish for my next party when I need a covered dish. This recipe is a keeper with me. So glad I tried it. :) YUM!!
Whole-Wheat Penne with Broccoli and Chickpeas
Photo: Ryan Benyi; Styling: A.J. Battifarano
More From Allyou
Amount per serving
- Calories: 412
- Fat: 14g
- Saturated fat: 3g
- Protein: 16g
- Carbohydrate: 59g
- Fiber: 10g
- Cholesterol: 8mg
- Sodium: 340mg
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets, stems discarded
- 12 ounces whole-wheat penne
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 15-oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (from 2 small lemons)
- 1/2 cup plus 1 Tbsp. grated Parmesan
- 1. Bring a pot of salted water to boil. Add broccoli; cook until just tender, 3 minutes. Scoop out broccoli with a slotted spoon; transfer to a bowl. Add pasta and cook until tender, about 10 minutes.
- 2. Warm oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and crushed red pepper; sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add chickpeas, reserved broccoli and 1/2 tsp. salt and cook, stirring, until heated through.
- 3. Drain pasta, reserving 1/2 cup of cooking liquid. Return pasta to pot and stir in chickpea and broccoli mixture and lemon juice. Stir in reserved cooking liquid, 1 Tbsp. at a time, until pasta is lightly moistened. Spoon pasta into bowls, sprinkle with Parmesan and serve.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes