I made this dish yesterday and thought it was delicious. I added turkey hot sausage, and will try it in the future with chicken or shrimp. All the flavors came toghter so nicely. Loved the crushed red pepper flakes and I always add more garlic than any recipe calls for. Before serving I drizzled a little olive oil and fresh grated romano cheese. I can't wait to make it again....I will proudly make this dish for my next party when I need a covered dish. This recipe is a keeper with me. So glad I tried it. :) YUM!!
Whole-Wheat Penne with Broccoli and Chickpeas
Photo: Ryan Benyi; Styling: A.J. Battifarano
Yield: Serves 6
Cost per Serving: $1.08
More From Allyou
Amount per serving
- Calories: 412
- Fat: 14g
- Saturated fat: 3g
- Protein: 16g
- Carbohydrate: 59g
- Fiber: 10g
- Cholesterol: 8mg
- Sodium: 340mg
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets, stems discarded
- 12 ounces whole-wheat penne
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 15-oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (from 2 small lemons)
- 1/2 cup plus 1 Tbsp. grated Parmesan
- 1. Bring a pot of salted water to boil. Add broccoli; cook until just tender, 3 minutes. Scoop out broccoli with a slotted spoon; transfer to a bowl. Add pasta and cook until tender, about 10 minutes.
- 2. Warm oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and crushed red pepper; sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add chickpeas, reserved broccoli and 1/2 tsp. salt and cook, stirring, until heated through.
- 3. Drain pasta, reserving 1/2 cup of cooking liquid. Return pasta to pot and stir in chickpea and broccoli mixture and lemon juice. Stir in reserved cooking liquid, 1 Tbsp. at a time, until pasta is lightly moistened. Spoon pasta into bowls, sprinkle with Parmesan and serve.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note