This is a family favorite. I use extra sausage and substitute beef broth for the chicken broth for a more robust flavor. I just use standard cabbage. My kids LOVE it and actually jump around and cheer when its on the menu for dinner.
Whole Wheat Pasta with Sausage, Leeks, and Fontina
Whole wheat pasta makes this hearty. The flavors meld and provide just enough of each element in every bite to keep you wanting more.
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 2/3 cups)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 385
- Calories from fat: 21%
- Fat: 8.9g
- Saturated fat: 3.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.2g
- Protein: 17.3g
- Carbohydrate: 64.3g
- Fiber: 8.3g
- Cholesterol: 18mg
- Iron: 3.8mg
- Sodium: 658mg
- Calcium: 119mg
- 6 quarts water
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 pound uncooked whole wheat penne or rigatoni
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (4-ounce) link sweet Italian sausage
- 2 cups chopped leek
- 4 cups shredded Savoy cabbage (about 9 1/2 ounces)
- 1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded fontina cheese
- Bring 6 quarts water and 2 teaspoons salt to a boil in a large stockpot. Stir in pasta; partially cover, and return to a boil, stirring frequently. Cook 8 minutes or until pasta is almost al dente, stirring occasionally. Drain.
- While pasta cooks, heat olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Remove casing from the sausage. Add sausage to Dutch oven; cook 2 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring to crumble. Add leek; cook 2 minutes or until leek is soft, stirring frequently. Add cabbage; cook 2 minutes or until cabbage wilts, stirring frequently. Add remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, broth, and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until vegetables are very tender.
- Add pasta to Dutch oven, tossing well to coat; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly, or until pasta is al dente. Remove from heat; stir in cheese. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes