Whole-Wheat Fettuccine with Arugula Pesto
More From Food & Wine
Total: 1 Hour
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 2 cups (2 ounces) packed baby arugula
- 1/4 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, freshly grated
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- In a food processor, pulse the whole-wheat and all-purpose flours with 1/2 teaspoon of salt. In a bowl, whisk the egg yolks, water and the 1 teaspoon of oil. With the processor on, add the egg yolk mixture and process until a ball forms. Transfer the dough to a work surface and knead until smooth. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand at room temperature for 20 minutes. Wipe out the processor.
- In a small skillet, toss the pine nuts over moderate heat until toasted, 1 minute; let cool. In the food processor, pulse the arugula, pine nuts, cheese, garlic and the remaining 1/3 cup of oil to a paste. Season the pesto with salt and add to a large skillet.
- Cut the dough into 3 pieces; work with 1 piece at a time and keep the rest covered. Flatten the dough slightly and run it through progressively narrower settings in a pasta machine until you reach the thinnest setting. Cut the pasta into 10-inch lengths. Using the pasta machine, cut each length into fettuccine. Transfer to a baking sheet, leaving space between the pasta so it doesn't stick.
- In a pot of boiling, salted water, cook the pasta, stirring, until al dente, about 30 seconds. Drain the pasta, reserving 1/3 cup of the cooking water. Stir the reserved water into the pesto. Add the pasta and tomatoes to the pesto, toss over moderate heat and serve.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note