Whole Wheat Empanadas with Potatoes, Cheese and Black Olives
This recipe takes a clever shortcut by using whole wheat pie shells in place of homemade pastry dough. Recipe from the Whole Foods Market website: http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/2458.
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 2 9-inch frozen whole wheat pie shells, unbaked
- 2 tablespoon(s) olive oil, divided
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pound(s) russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/4 pound(s) Havarti cheese, grated and divided
- 1/3 cup(s) pitted, sliced black olives
- 3 tablespoon(s) chopped cilantro
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. Unwrap pie shells and set aside at room temperature until pliable and no longer cold, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 1/2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Add potatoes and 1/4 cup water, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally and scraping up any browned bits, until tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and briefly mash until chunky. Set aside to let cool. Reserve 1/4 cup of the cheese, then add remaining to bowl with potato mixture along with olives, cilantro, salt and pepper. Gently fold together and set aside.
- Invert one of the pie shells onto a floured surface, removing the tin, then gently flatten and roll out into a 12-inch circle. Using a small bowl as a cookie cutter, cut four 5-inch circles out of the dough, reworking the scraps as needed. Transfer circles to a large plate and cover with a damp paper towel then repeat process with second crust to make 8 circles total.
- Working with one circle of dough at a time, brush edges with water then arrange about 1/4 cup of the potato filling in the middle. Fold over to make a half moon. Pressing out air as you go, pinch edges together snugly, crimping them, if desired. Transfer to prepared baking sheet. Brush empanadas with remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil and sprinkle tops with reserved cheese. Bake until golden brown and crisp, about 45 minutes.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by psfreeman and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note