We love this bread! I am making it for the second time. And it is an incredibly easy recipe. We liked it plain, with apple butter or as part of a delicious grilled cheese sandwich.
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 132
- Calories from fat: 23%
- Fat: 3.3g
- Saturated fat: 0.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.4g
- Protein: 3.7g
- Carbohydrate: 22.5g
- Fiber: 2.2g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 1.3mg
- Sodium: 202mg
- Calcium: 8mg
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 packages dry yeast (about 4 1/2 teaspoons)
- 2 cups warm water (105° to 115°)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour, divided
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon sunflower seed kernels
- 1 tablespoon quick-cooking oats
- 2 tablespoons stick margarine or butter, melted
- Dissolve sugar and yeast in warm water in a large bowl, and let stand 5 minutes. Lightly spoon the flours into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Stir all-purpose flour, 2 cups whole-wheat flour, vegetable oil, and salt into yeast mixture. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until dough is smooth and elastic (about 8 minutes), and add enough of the remaining whole-wheat flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent dough from sticking.
- Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 45 minutes or until doubled in bulk. Punch dough down; cover dough and let rest 20 minutes. Divide dough in half. Working with one portion at a time (cover remaining dough to keep from drying), roll each portion into a 6 x 4-inch rectangle on a lightly floured surface. Roll up each rectangle tightly, starting with a long edge, pressing firmly to eliminate air pockets; pinch seam and ends to seal. Place rolls, seam sides down, in 2 (8 x 4-inch) loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise 30 minutes or until doubled in bulk.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Uncover dough. Combine sunflower seed kernels, oats, and margarine; brush over loaves. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until loaves sound hollow when tapped. Remove from pans; cool on wire racks.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This