This is a great recipe. We use it all the time when we have a surplus of mustard greens in the garden and never get tired of it. I add shaved fennel to it to up the veggie content a bit. I've used both Romano and Parmesan cheese and either comes out great. I also use fat free half and half because that's what we have on hand (I'm not going to buy a whole thing of half and half for the small amount called for in this recipe) and cut it down to just two tbsp that I stir in after I remove the pan from the stove (if I added it while the pan was still heating, I think the fat free half and half would separate). I don't bother with the chicken broth in the pasta water--seems like a waste of chicken broth.
Whole Wheat Blend Rotini with Spicy Turkey Sausage and Mustard Greens
Howard L. Puckett
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 328
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 10.4g
- Saturated fat: 4.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.3g
- Protein: 20.6g
- Carbohydrate: 40.7g
- Fiber: 5.4g
- Cholesterol: 61mg
- Iron: 3.3mg
- Sodium: 635mg
- Calcium: 164mg
- 1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 4 quarts water
- 1 (13.5-ounce) package uncooked whole wheat blend rotini (corkscrew pasta)
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion (about 1 large)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound hot turkey Italian sausage
- 8 ounces bagged prewashed cut mustard greens
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated fresh pecorino Romano cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Place 1/2 cup broth in a small saucepan over medium heat; simmer until reduced to 3 tablespoons (about 6 minutes). Remove from heat.
- Combine water and remaining broth in a large Dutch oven. Bring to a boil over high heat; stir in pasta. Cook, uncovered, 10 minutes or until al dente. Drain well; place pasta in a large bowl. Keep warm.
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion; cook 4 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove casings from sausage. Add sausage to pan; cook 6 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Stir in greens; cook 2 minutes or until greens wilt. Add reduced broth, half-and-half, and cheese. Cook 4 minutes or until cheese melts and mixture thickens, stirring frequently.
- Add sausage mixture to pasta, and sprinkle with salt and freshly ground pepper. Toss well to combine. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes