- 1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 4 quarts water
- 1 (13.5-ounce) package uncooked whole wheat blend rotini (corkscrew pasta)
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion (about 1 large)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound hot turkey Italian sausage
- 8 ounces bagged prewashed cut mustard greens
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated fresh pecorino Romano cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- calories 328
- caloriesfromfat 29 %
- fat 10.4 g
- satfat 4.3 g
- monofat 3.4 g
- polyfat 2.3 g
- protein 20.6 g
- carbohydrate 40.7 g
- fiber 5.4 g
- cholesterol 61 mg
- iron 3.3 mg
- sodium 635 mg
- calcium 164 mg
How to Make It
Place 1/2 cup broth in a small saucepan over medium heat; simmer until reduced to 3 tablespoons (about 6 minutes). Remove from heat.
Combine water and remaining broth in a large Dutch oven. Bring to a boil over high heat; stir in pasta. Cook, uncovered, 10 minutes or until al dente. Drain well; place pasta in a large bowl. Keep warm.
Heat a Dutch oven over medium heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion; cook 4 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove casings from sausage. Add sausage to pan; cook 6 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Stir in greens; cook 2 minutes or until greens wilt. Add reduced broth, half-and-half, and cheese. Cook 4 minutes or until cheese melts and mixture thickens, stirring frequently.
Add sausage mixture to pasta, and sprinkle with salt and freshly ground pepper. Toss well to combine. Serve immediately.