Whole Wheat Banana Bread
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 153
- Calories from fat: 9%
- Fat: 1.5g
- Saturated fat: 0.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.2g
- Protein: 6.3g
- Carbohydrate: 29.8g
- Fiber: 3.2g
- Cholesterol: 1mg
- Iron: 2mg
- Sodium: 249mg
- Calcium: 8mg
- 1 cup warm water (100° to 110°)
- 1 package dry yeast (about 2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana
- 2 1/4 cups bread flour (about 10 1/2 ounces), divided
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (about 4 3/4 ounces)
- 1/2 cup soy flour (about 2 ounces)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- Cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon butter, melted
- 1. Combine 1 cup warm water and yeast; let stand 5 minutes. Stir in banana.
- 2. Lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Add 2 cups bread flour, wheat flour, soy flour, and salt to yeast mixture; stir until a soft dough forms. Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 8 minutes); add enough of remaining 1/4 cup bread flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent dough from sticking to hands (dough will feel sticky).
- 3. Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray; turn to coat top. Cover; let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 45 minutes or until doubled in size. (Press two fingers into dough. If indentation remains, the dough has risen enough.) Punch dough down; cover and let rest 5 minutes. Roll dough into a 14 x 7–inch rectangle on a floured surface. Roll up tightly, starting with a long edge, pressing firmly to eliminate air pockets; pinch seam and ends to seal. Place roll, seam side down, in a 9 x 5–inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Coat top with cooking spray. Cover; let rise in a warm place 30 minutes or until doubled in size. (Press two fingers into dough. If indentation remains, dough has risen enough.)
- 4. Preheat oven to 400°.
- 5. Bake at 400° for 1 hour or until lightly browned on bottom and sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from pan; brush with butter. Cool completely.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Whole Wheat Banana Bread Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes for Breads