- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup vertically sliced onion
- 1 cup thinly sliced fennel bulb
- 2 (2-pound) cleaned whole red snapper
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds, toasted and crushed
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 3/4 teaspoon sea or kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lemon, cut into 8 slices
- Cooking spray
- Fennel fronds (optional)
- calories 218
- caloriesfromfat 28 %
- fat 6.9 g
- satfat 1.1 g
- monofat 3.8 g
- polyfat 1.2 g
- protein 34.1 g
- carbohydrate 3.5 g
- fiber 1.3 g
- cholesterol 60 mg
- iron 0.7 mg
- sodium 517 mg
- calcium 74 mg
How to Make It
Prepare grill to medium-high heat.
Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and fennel bulb, and cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Set aside.
Score skin of fish with 3 diagonal cuts. Combine fennel seeds, rind, salt, and pepper. Rub each fish with 1 1/2 teaspoons oil and half of fennel seed mixture. Stuff half of onion mixture and 4 lemon slices into each fish cavity.
Place fish on grill rack coated with cooking spray, and grill 8 minutes. Carefully roll fish over; grill 8 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork.
Garnish with fennel fronds, if desired.